(3/19/20, 3 pm) The Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District remains committed to doing all we can to meet the needs of our students and their families during this mandatory closure of schools. One way we can do that is to offer FREE meals for children up to age 18.
We will follow best practices for food distribution as outlined by the CDC. All locations will be grab-and-go. Staff or volunteers will meet people at their cars at the elementary buildings. School busses will be at the other sites where students or parents can come and pick-up the meals. (Please do not gather in groups of more than 10.)
We will start providing meals on Monday, March 23 and deliver each day next week.
We may adjust times, locations or other details based on usage and on-going guidance from public health. Starting Monday, we will provide:
- Longview Trailer Park (beginning Monday, March 30) – 11:20 – 11:30 am (south driveway of the Long View trailer park on the west side of Vinton)
- Tilford Elementary – 11:30 am-12:30 pm
- Vinton Park Apartments Driveway – 11:30-11:45 am
- Vinton Public Library – 11:50 am-12:05 pm
- Shellsburg Elementary – 11:30 am-12:00 pm
- Timber Ridge, Community Mailbox Area – 11:30 -11:45 am
- Garrison, Downtown, Near Old Library – 11:30 -11:45 am
To help determine how many meals to prepare, we ask that families call and leave a message to 319-436-5680 or email email@example.com by 10:00 AM each day OR if you prefer, you can call just once on Monday to indicate which day or days you will utilize for the week. We want to know the number of meals and the meal pickup location. Additional meals will be available on Monday, March 23 for those who may not have had the chance to call in.
We will provide a cold lunch and a breakfast meal for the following morning. We are working with our Operation Backpack sponsors to provide food bags on Friday to take home for weekend needs.