Prom Update: June 3, 2020
We continue to move forward with our “2020 Quarantined Prom”. As we do so, we always keep in mind that as a public school we will follow Governor Reynold’s disaster proclamations and any guidance from public health. One of the things we know from the guidance is that we are not allowed to have any large gathering – particularly if it is a dance. Because of this many other schools in the area chose to cancel prom or hold virtual proms. Thanks to our hardworking juniors, their Parents, and our communities Vinton-Shellsburg is able to offer an amazing alternative for our students.
Here is a look at all the details and things Vinton-Shellsburg will be offering this year for our first ever “Quarantined Twenties” Drive-Thru Prom.
Date: June 19, 2020 (Raindate: June 20, 2020)
Time: 5:00-7:00 pm
Dress: Semi-Formal to Formal, Students may wear their Prom or favorite “Quarantined Twenties” attire.
Invitations: Designed by Junior Eli Powers and printed by Cedar River Ink and will be sent out to VS Juniors and Seniors next week.
Prom Court: Organized by Junior Kyla Jeffery and will be done all online. An announcement of the Top Ten Candidates will be made via Social Media on June 8.
Local Businesses: Are invited to decorate their windows or store fronts using the theme “Quarantined Twenties” (Originally the theme was “Roaring’ Twenties”)
Locations: Students will start at Farmer’s Savings Bank where they will receive a map and instructions for the Drive-Thru Prom.
- Natures Corner– Flowers/Candy
- Celebration Park– Trefz Photography
- High School-Post Prom Prizes/Gifts- Many prizes/gifts donated by local businesses! Thank you so much for your support!
- Middle School– Post Prom Desserts/Treats
- Tharps– Shirt pick up
- Meals @ Various locations
- Pizza Hut
- Pizza Ranch
- La Reyna
- Ron Da Voo
- Smokin on Cedar- Arnold Motor’s Parking Lot
- Kacena Food Truck- US Cellular Parking Lot
- Opal & Hazel’s Wood Fired Pizza- Roosters/Little Chick Parking Lot
- Only Vinton-Shellsburg Juniors and Seniors will be eligible for the gifts, food and prizes.
- Students MUST RSVP in order to be eligible for gifts, food and prizes. Students will be able to RSVP starting next week by emailing: email@example.com
- Students will remain in their vehicles at each stop.
- Students may ride together with no more than 4 people in one vehicle.
- All locations will have parent volunteers
- Parent volunteers will ask the students for their names and then bring items to the car to them.
- All volunteers will wear masks and disposable gloves will be made available.
- At the photo station (Celebration Park), students will remain in their vehicles until Mr. Islas or Mr. Kingsbury tells them to go to the photo station. Photo station will be sanitized between photos and no more than 10 people (including the photographer & volunteers) will be allowed in the area.
Mary Jo Hainstock, Superintendent
Matt Kingsbury, Principal
Crystal Coder, 2020 Prom Sponsor