The pool of Iowans eligible to substitute teach has been expanded! When you substitute, you join our team of Difference Makers and help Vinton-Shellsburg students learn and thrive. You can earn a steady income at a rate of $16.75/hour within a supportive environment.
Learn more about the Substitute Authorization Class
Governor Kim Reynolds issued a new proclamation as of July 17, 2020, which allows for increased flexibility in the use of substitute teachers during the disaster emergency period. The following applies:
- The day limitation (5 days in a row, 10 days in a month, in any one assignment) for holders of a substitute authorization is removed, and the long-term substitute day limit (90 days) is removed.
- The degree requirement to obtain a substitute authorization is changed from a bachelor’s degree to an associate’s degree or 60 semester hours through a regionally-accredited institution. The Substitute Authorization Class is still required.
- The age requirement of 21 years of age for a substitute authorization is changed to age 20.
- Paraeducators who hold a paraeducator certificate with the limited substitute authorization to serve as a substitute only in their own special education classroom may serve as a substitute in any classroom (except driver’s ed).
a. Paraeducators need to hold a substitute authorization to serve as a substitute teacher.
b. If the paraeducator holds a regular substitute authorization, they may serve as a substitute teacher in any classroom except driver’s ed (this is not a change).
c. If the paraeducator holds the limited substitute authorization to serve as a substitute teacher only in their own special education classroom, they may substitute in any classroom during this proclamation.
- Holders of a career and technical authorization with at least one year of experience may serve as a substitute in any classroom (except driver’s ed).
Long-term substitute teachers are paid at the above hourly rate for the first fifteen consecutive days in the same assignment. A per diem salary, based on experience level placement, up to ten years, on the BA lane of the salary schedule B, is paid for the remainder of the substitution period.
Substitute teachers must have a current valid Iowa Teaching Certificate, current Child Abuse Reporting Training certificate (this must be completed/renewed every 5-years,) and a current Certificate of Health (Substitute is responsible for the cost of physical.)
To apply, please print out, fill in, and return this resume to:
Vinton-Shellsburg Substitute Teacher Application Form
Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District
Office of the Superintendent
1502 C Ave.
Vinton, Iowa 52349
Questions? Call Elizabeth Nelsen at (319) 436-5680 or E-mail: email@example.com
Vinton-Shellsburg Community Schools is an equal opportunity employer in a smoke-free environment.