Everyone working in our schools has an impact on kids every single day. Each one of us is working toward the same goal to create a bigger network of caring adults that students can learn from and feel safe with.
The Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District serves about 7,000 people living in and around the towns of Vinton, Garrison, and Shellsburg. Located 30 miles NW of Cedar Rapids and SE of Waterloo, the district’s proximity to the larger communities provides a wide variety of cultural and entertainment events plus a choice of colleges which includes the University of Iowa, the University of Northern Iowa, Coe and Mount Mercy Colleges, Kirkwood and Hawkeye Community Colleges, and Hamilton Technical School.
Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District ranks 44th in student population among Iowa’s 376 public school districts. The district is the right size (approximately 1,550 students). It is large enough to provide a full curriculum, yet small enough to offer personal touches. Some examples are teacher contacts with parents; a “Friday Folder” communicating individual elementary students’ news to households; regular classroom, building and district newsletters.
BE A DIFFERENCE MAKER!
Our District offers an attractive salary and benefits package with an excellent work environment. We look forward to the challenge of meeting your personal and professional needs.
Search current openings at VSCSD through the TEACHIOWA.GOV website.
The pool of Iowans eligible to substitute teach has been expanded! When you substitute, you join our team of Difference Makers and help Vinton-Shellsburg students learn and thrive. You can earn a steady income at a rate of $16/hour within a supportive environment.
Learn more about the Substitute Authorization Class
Governor Kim Reynolds issued a new proclamation as of July 17, 2020, which allows for increased flexibility in the use of substitute teachers during the disaster emergency period. The following applies:
- The day limitation (5 days in a row, 10 days in a month, in any one assignment) for holders of a substitute authorization is removed, and the long-term substitute day limit (90 days) is removed.
- The degree requirement to obtain a substitute authorization is changed from a bachelor’s degree to an associate’s degree or 60 semester hours through a regionally-accredited institution. The Substitute Authorization Class is still required.
- The age requirement of 21 years of age for a substitute authorization is changed to age 20.
- Paraeducators who hold a paraeducator certificate with the limited substitute authorization to serve as a substitute only in their own special education classroom may serve as a substitute in any classroom (except driver’s ed).
a. Paraeducators need to hold a substitute authorization to serve as a substitute teacher.
b. If the paraeducator holds a regular substitute authorization, they may serve as a substitute teacher in any classroom except driver’s ed (this is not a change).
c. If the paraeducator holds the limited substitute authorization to serve as a substitute teacher only in their own special education classroom, they may substitute in any classroom during this proclamation.
- Holders of a career and technical authorization with at least one year of experience may serve as a substitute in any classroom (except driver’s ed).
Long-term substitute teachers are paid at the above hourly rate for the first fifteen consecutive days in the same assignment. A per diem salary, based on experience level placement, up to ten years, on the BA lane of the salary schedule B, is paid for the remainder of the substitution period.
Substitute teachers must have a current valid Iowa Teaching Certificate, current Child Abuse Reporting Training certificate (this must be completed/renewed every 5-years,) and a current Certificate of Health (Substitute is responsible for the cost of physical.)
To apply, please print out, fill in, and return this resume to:
Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District
Office of the Superintendent
1502 C Ave.
Vinton, Iowa 52349
Questions? Call Karrie Bartling at (319) 436-5680 or E-mail: email@example.com
Vinton-Shellsburg Community Schools is an equal opportunity employer in a smoke-free environment.